Can We Eat Himalayan Salt? Before answering the question, we need to learn about the history and kinds of Himalayan Salt products in the market. It is necessary for us to get informed about many kinds of salt. Besides, we have to only purchase original products through the right supplier.
We have to struggle a lot in order to live a healthy life. We need to consume a healthy diet and protect our bodies with good antioxidants. Besides, we have to reduce the use of electronic products for avoiding the side effects of free radicals and radiations.
One of the excellent product that we should have is Himalayan salt. We can get edible Himalayan salt or Himalayan salt lamp for creating a healthy home and environment.
Table of Contents
What Kinds of Himalayan Salt Products are there?
History made it possible for the vast primordial ocean covering a mountain range to create a giant area of the salt chunk. It took a hundred million years. That long period of time made it possible to create unpolluted crystal formation. Today, the formation is known as the purest salt on earth.
The crystal salt rocks have layers that are rich in minerals and other natural elements. When the crystal salt heats up, it will release negative ions. The negative ions are good for removing pollen, dander, dust, pollutants, and cigarette smokes. Even, the negative ions are excellent in fighting against the free radicals and harmful radiations of computers and other electronic products.
There are many products of crystal salt that we can have for a healthier life. For instance, we can buy Himalayan salt lamps for creating pretty illumination and serve a better atmosphere at home. Besides, we can buy detoxers, candleholders, an inhaler.
Also, some bath products made with crystal salt are also available. We can use bath salts, body scrubs, and bath bars. In addition, we can add the salt in our foods. Table salt is also something that we need to live healthier.
Can you eat Himalayan salt? Is Himalayan Salt Edible?
Himalayan salt is definitely edible. However, we need to know the exact differences between edible salt and non-edible salt products. Edible Himalayan salts are good for culinary purposes. We can get minerals and various nutrient from the salt. We do not have to worry about taking the wrong salt since there is a huge difference between edible and non-edible salt products.
Learn more about Are Himalayan Salt Lamps safe for Babies and Pets?
The edible salt made of Himalayan salt is safe and even more beneficial for health. The Himalayan salt contains 84 trace minerals and elements of human bodies. According to the Healthline, consuming the Himalayan pink salt is healthier because it contains less sodium chloride. This salt is also a good choice because of the unique cellular structure. The salt provides vibrational energy.
We can eat Himalayan salt and we will be able to get various health benefits with the salt. Here is some health benefits claim of edible Himalayan salt:
- Gives you an energy boost.
- AIDS in vascular health.
- Manages a stable pH balance in the cells.
- Works as antiaging.
- Provides healthier sleep.
- It improves libido.
- People can avoid muscle cramps by consuming the Himalayan salt.
- Himalayan salt is good for bone and blood pressure problems.
- Detoxification and blood circulation purposes.
- Improve hydration.
Is Rock Salt Edible?
Apparently, there are various grades of rock salt (halite), some edible and some not. Although it’s labeled as edible, rock salt is not intended for consumption. Why is rock salt not edible?
- The potency of unrefined rock salt that usually contains inedible impurities.
- The rock salts are not stored in a clean method. Besides, the salt does not go through clean production procedures.
- The salt company might add any additives before packaging. The facilities used are different between the edible and non-edible salt.
- The shape of non-edible salt does not fit for human and pet (dogs & cats) consumption.
A recent example of non-edible rock salt is The Morton Ice Cream Salt. According to Morton Website, Morton Ice Cream Salt is NOT intended for consumption. Morton Ice Cream salt can be used in ice cream machine, apply to ice in cooler to chill beverages and melting ice and snow.
The Rock Salts are commonly used for de-icing and removing the snow on highways. Besides, the rock salt also used for aesthetical purposes and softening of hard water.
On the other hand, the edible products of Himalayan pink salt (Example: Sherpa Pink Himalayan salt) are processed with the specific grade of cleanliness. The salt is dried under the sun and packaged in special facilities that are proper for edible products. Edible salt was marked with “Edible/For consumption/Cooking salt”.
How to Use Edible Himalayan Pink Salt for Cooking?
Regular refined salt is healthy but we can actually improve our food nutrients by substituting it with Himalayan salt. We can use the salt for cooking as well as for finishing touch. The Himalayan pink salt is the best choice as a cooking salt. We should note that we choose the extra fine (0 – 0.5 mm) and fine grain sizes (0 – 1 mm) Himalayan pink salt as cooking salt. We need to directly use a salt shaker for both extra-fine and fine sizes.
For another edible Himalayan salt (Medium 2 – 3 mm), we might need to use a grater. The salt is well-suited for seasoning meat when we cook a steak. If we feel that the grain sizes are too big (Coarse 3 – 6 mm), we can buy the adjustable grinder or a salt mill to grind the Himalayan salt crystal.
List of Edible Salts
Edible salts are different in quality and kinds. There are various types of edible salts with different mining, evaporation, preparation method, and flavorings. Here are some types of edible salt:
- Alpenbergkern Salt: This is rock salt. It is from the Salzkammergut area in the Alps. It has 84 minerals. The salt will give unique flavor with a tan color.
- Anglesey Sea Salt: It is also a popular Halen Môn. It is extracted from salt flakes from the Welsh sea salt.
- Alaea Salt: This salt has the style of Hawaiian. It has a red volcanic clay color.
- Black Lava Salt: A sea salt blended with activated charcoal. This salt has a unique color of activated charcoal.
- Brine: This is saltwater that is used for preservative.
- Himalayan Salt: This is a rock salt with pink color that is excavated from India and Pakistan.
- Dead Sea Salt: This has the name Dead Sea salt for a reason. It is originally from the Dead Sea.
- Flaked Salt: It is an edible salt with flake shape.
- Fleur de Sel: It is a type of salt that is hand-harvested.
- Khoisan Salt Pearls: It the salt that comes from the South African sea.
- Khoser Salt: A large-grained, non-iodised salt.
- Sea Salt.
So, Can You Eat Himalayan Pink Salt? Yes, we can. We will be able to obtain health benefits from the salt as well.